Institute of Animal Technology (RQF) Accredited courses
It is an integral part of an animal technician’s training and education to understand the theoretical knowledge and principles that underpin the practice of animal technology. These principles ensure that animal welfare and science are maintained at the highest standards, as is required of an animal technician working under the Animals (Scientific Procedures) Act 1986 and wider European legislation.
The IAT is recognised as an awarding body under the Regulated Qualifications Framework (RQF) and is regulated by Ofqual.
Red Kite Veterinary Consultants are proud to be approved to deliver IAT level 2 and level 3 Diploma qualifications.
To register for either the Level 2 Diploma or Level 3 Diploma, please email firstname.lastname@example.org
IAT Level 2 Diploma in Laboratory Animal Science and Technology
This diploma focuses on ensuring that you recognise the importance of high standards of routine care and animal husbandry, and will give you an understanding of the key scientific principles and the legal responsibilities of an animal technologist. Topics covered are as follows:
• Laboratory animal housing & routines (F/602/5879)
• The production of laboratory animals (T/602/5880)
• Laboratory animal nutrition (A/602/5881)
• Introduction to laboratory animal facility legislation (Y/615/1147)
• Introduction to laboratory animal facility ethics (L/615/1145)
• Laboratory animal health and husbandry (J/602/5883)
• Laboratory animal biology (Y/602/6049)
• Animal facility physical science (L/602/6050)
• Numeracy for animal technicians (D/602/6053
• Communication for animal technicians (Y/602/6052)
• Information Communication Technology for animal technicians (R/602/6051)
IAT Level 3 Diploma in Laboratory Animal Science and Technology
This diploma is designed for more experienced technologist that have already gained the level 2 Diploma in Laboratory Animal Science and Technology. It will encourage you to develop a thorough understanding of the principles and practices of good animal welfare and scientific practice covering:
• Housing and biosecurity barriers in laboratory animal facilities (A/602/5976)
• Disease control (M/602/6039)
• Laboratory animal welfare (H/602/6040)
• Management of breeding colonies (K/602/6041)
• The use of GA animals in research(M/602/6042)
• Scientific procedures (T/602/6043)
• Ethics (H/615/1149)
• Laboratory animal facility legislation (Y/615/1150)
• Animal transportation (J/602/6046)
• Animal cell biology (L/602/6047)
• Laboratory animal physiology (R/602/6048)
For more information on these qualifications, click the links below to view the syllabuses.
IAT levels 2 and 3